It’s been discussed and documented that being out on a longboard provides a variety of physical, emotional, and social benefits. These benefits extend far beyond the rush of adrenaline. Whether you’re a seasoned rider or a curious beginner, longboarding can and will positively transform various aspects of your life.
From forging new connections to boosting your confidence, building resilience, and improving your physical fitness, each benefit contributes to a more fulfilling and vibrant lifestyle. So, hop on board as we run through our list of top 20 benefits of longboarding…
- Cardiovascular Fitness: Longboard provides an excellent cardiovascular workout, helping to improve your heart health and overall endurance.
- Full-body Workout: Riding a longboard engages lots of muscle groups, including your legs, core, and upper body, providing a full-body workout.
- Balance and Coordination: Longboarding requires balance and coordination, which helps improve your motor skills and proprioception (its a real word – look it up)
- Stress Relief: Cruising on a longboard is an incredible stress reliever, allowing you to disconnect from daily worries and enjoy the freedom of cruising (with no hangover)
- Low Impact: Longboarding puts minimal stress on your joints, making it a great option for individuals with joint issues or those looking for a low impact exercise
- Increased Flexibility: The fluid motions and maneuvers involved in longboarding can help improve your flexibility and range of motion. (stretching regularly helps too)
- Core Strength: Maintaining balance and stability while riding a longboard engages your core muscles, helping to strengthen your abdominal and lower back muscles.
- Mental Focus and Concentration: Longboarding requires concentration and focus, as you need to be aware of your surroundings, anticipate obstacles, and make split-second decisions, enhancing your mental alertness.
- Increased Spatial Awareness: Riding a longboard regularly improves your spatial awareness, making you more attuned to your environment and improving your ability to navigate through crowded spaces. (it also makes you really proficient at spotting smooth roads and fun hills)
- Sense of Achievement: Learning and mastering new longboarding tricks provides a sense of achievement and boosts self-confidence.
- Enhanced Reflexes: Longboarding challenges your reflexes and reaction time, as you often need to adjust your body position and react to changes in the terrain or traffic (like when a pedestrian steps in front of you)
- Improved Posture: Riding a longboard promotes good posture, as you need to maintain an upright position while balancing on the board.
- Outdoor Enjoyment: Longboarding allows you to explore your surroundings and enjoy the outdoors (get away from the screens and Zooms)
- Social Connection: Longboarding can be a social activity, bringing people together through group rides, skate parks, or longboarding communities, fostering new friendships and connections. (check out many of the groups in cities across the country)
- Increased Creativity: Longboarding encourages creativity as you can experiment with different riding styles, tricks, and routes, creating your own personal style. (be you, not someone else)
- Problem-Solving Skills: Longboarding requires you to evaluate and solve problems on the fly, such as finding the best route, avoiding obstacles, or navigating challenging terrain.
- Time-Efficient Exercise: Longboarding is an efficient form of exercise. It combines transportation with physical activity. You can use it as a means of commuting or running errands, saving time while staying active (and having fun)
- Sensory Experience: Longboarding engages your senses as you feel the wind on your face, hear the wheels rolling and observe the surroundings at a closer pace, providing a unique perspective you may not have appreciated before.
- Improved Sleep Quality: Regular physical activity, such as longboarding, can contribute to better sleep quality, helping you fall asleep faster and enjoy more restful sleep (while you dream about longboarding)
- The Stoke: Ultimately, longboarding is a fun activity that brings a sense of freedom, joy, and excitement into your life (a.k.a. stoke). It’s a great way to break the monotony and infuse a sense of adventure into your daily routine. [This is really number 1 – but if we led with it, would you have read the list?]
We realize this list isn’t exhaustive, so please share your top benefits with us on social media and #deviateboardco and #longboardingbenefits.
Now grab your longboard and get out and cruise. And if you need a new longboard, we have you covered. See you on the pavement!